n 2011, 57 million children of primary school age were out of school, down from 102 million in 2000. Between 2008 & 2011, the numbers of out of school children of primary school age fail only by 3 million. This indicates that, at the current rate, the world is unlikely to meet the target of universal education by 2015. According to the Annual Status of Education Report (ASER) 2012, India has made significant strides forward in broad enrollment ratio but at the same time it lacks in providing quality learning skills at an elementary level and the quality of teachers too is very apathetic. India is in dire need of good train teacher at an elementary level to lay a solid foundation of knowledge and aid in building a bright future for the country.
- The ASHA development intervention on education focuses upon providing quality education and maintaining standard of education in schools nationwide. Its principle aim is to provide an enabling environment for young teachers to educate and lay strong pillar for our future.
- ASHA in its effort to achieve this noble objective has chalked out an effective strategy to offer training programs to teachers and keep good balance with education system world-wide.
- ASHA is determined to overcome many infrastructural constraints and varying social issues to make education accessible to all section of the society and particularly to women and the disadvantaged minorities. Therefore, to achieve this goal ASHA has planned to take definite steps:
- Bring books and other resources (videos of lectures, speakers) online.
- Promote distant learning initiative to spread the education in rural areas.
- Setting up 24/7 schools for those who cannot attend regular school during day time.
- ASHA also impart special quality education to women’s group in the rural areas concerning their health issues, the necessity of maintaining a proper sanitation, nutrition, childcare and pregnancy. This educative session also equips them with knowledge and makes them more aware about their basic rights in a society-right to education, food, right to safe drinking water, public sanitation etc.